Watershed Talk Newsletter - July 14
SOCKEYE UPDATE - July 14, 2017
Mike Staley held his first conference call of his sockeye season weekly in-season updates for First Nations on Thursday, July 13, at 4 p.m. First Nations are encouraged to phone in to these updates (held every Thursday in sockeye season at 4 p.m.) in order to get the latest information on the status of the runs.
Following is the information from yesterday’s call.
- Early Stuart
The pre-season forecast was for a return of 99,000 this year, although DFO Science staff were warning DFO management that this number might be a bit optimistic.
Returns to date: 27,000 fish, indicating that total returns will likely not exceed 50-60,000 fish.
Outlook: At this level, every returning fish is needed for the spawning grounds. No fishing on Early Stuart this year.
- Early Summer Run stocks
The pre-season forecast was for a total return of 343,000 this year (all stocks combined in this management group). A few Early Summer Run fish (Chilliwack stock only) have entered the Fraser to date; it is too early to assess whether or not returns will be at or near the pre-season forecast. Some of the other stocks from this group are starting to show in the marine test fisheries.
Returns to date: 4,000
Outlook: too soon in the season to comment.
- Environmental Conditions
Migration conditions are good at this time, with flows and temperatures at or close to the historic averages for this time of year:
- Flow (discharge): 4822 cms (cubic metres per second). This value is well under the high flow threshold near 8,000 cms that Early Stuart sockeye have faced in the past.
- Temperature: 16.8 C. This value is below the stress-level temperature of approximately 18 C that Early Stuart and Early Summer Run sockeye have faced in the past.
Fraser Salmon Bulletin - Vol. 3 - July 12, 2017
More Articles ...
- Chinook License: DN, RR to Sept 15
- Public Service Announcement - Ashcroft Hospital and Health Center Service Change
- Fraser Salmon Bulletin
- FNFC Communique June 2017
- Thompson Steelhead Working Group – June 2017 Update
- Fraser Sockeye Tagging Project
- Summary Report Joint Technical Working Group Meeting Forum on Conservation & Harvest Planning for Fraser Salmon
- Upper Nicola Band - Media Release
- High Bar First Nations Notice - Not Selling Fishing Permits
- Citxw Nlaka'pamux Assembly Bursaries