Skeetchestn Indian Band -- Finance Manager
POSITION TITLE: Finance Manager
Skeetchestn Indian Band, located 60 km west of Kamloops is pleased to invite qualified applicants to apply to the position of
Finance Manager. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Finance Manager is responsible for the day-to-day financial activities
of the Band in accordance with community values, community plan and policies. The incumbent oversees all accounts and
generates monthly, quarterly and annual reports as required by the Director of Operations, the Budget Committee and Council.
He/She produces all financial statements and reports while ensuring completion and accuracy, and meeting deadlines. As leader,
the Finance Manager will mentor and supervise staff responsible for journal entries, payables, receivables, bank reconciliation and
payroll. He/She will provide the SIB Management team with guidance around best accounting practices and general business
management principles for reporting, data management and budget administration. The successful applicant will have significant
and proven skills and abilities developed in a senior finance role, preferably in a First Nation organization
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Financial statements & Reports
- Prepares all financial statements and reports respecting deadlines (as scheduled or as requested)
- Assist with mid-year and year-end financial statements.
General Ledgers & Journals
- Manage the day-to-day financial operations including payroll, accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, travel transactions.
- Oversees reconciling of bank/credit card statements and monitoring of transactions to ensure accuracy for the Band Revenue, Social Housing construction, Social Housing operation and Social Housing replacement reserve accounts.
- Review General Ledgers to ensure expenditures have been coded correctly and monitors for signs or discrepancies and unusual activities.
- Reviews the invoice posting journal and intercompany transactions to ensure all entries have been posted and/or properly invoiced.
Administration and Planning
- Performs all responsibilities and duties in accordance with Skeetchestn Band Administration Policies and Procedures.
- Ensures Policies and Procedures as set out by government controls and other relevant Ministries are being followed.
- Ensures Payroll, Social Assistance and Accounts Payable are issued on time.
- Prepares annual department cash flow statements and budget forecasts template for department managers and for oversee that department budgets are reviewed as scheduled.
- Prepares final budget forecasts for submission to the Budget Committee and Council.
- Assist with department short-term and long-term planning in conjunction with the overall Band and Council goals.
- Participate in the Financial Planning working group and report to department managers as needed.
- Review and update the Band insurance for capital asset, vehicles and liability.
- Make recommendations to enhance budgeting process, use of new software, procedures and reporting process.
- Ensures that reporting requirements are met within deadlines.
- Manage the relationship with financial institutions, auditors and service providers as needed.
Management/Supervision of Staff
- Demonstrate leadership.
- Is positive and fair with all employees under his/her supervision.
- Ensures that staff carry out all tasks under their job description and monitors performance.
- Carries out employee performance appraisals on an annual basis.
- Monitors and recommends training requirements for staff.
- Holds weekly staff meeting.
- Submit timesheets following procedures.
Project or Activity Management
- Assist with IT needs
- Makes recommendations/notifications to staff and to Council
- Ensures backup procedures are being performed for server and department accounting software.
- Spearhead the Financial Planning Working Group
-Post-Secondary education in finance and 3 years of experience working financial management position, or an equivalent
combination of education andexperience;
-CMA, CGA, CA or CAFM designation preferred;
-Minimum of 2 years’ experience managing, directing and leading employees;
-Experience in full cycle accounting;
-Experience working with Chief and Council or a Board of Directors and experience
compiling and interpreting data, budgets and statistical analysis;
-Experience researching, analyzing, interpreting, evaluating and developing solutions using
complex data to produce recommendations to the Council/Board for policy development;
-Experience developing and preparing a variety of written reports, analysis, forecasting,
presentations and other documentation in accordance with Council/Board directives or
-Ability to maintain strict confidentiality;
-First Nations and cross cultural experience an asset;
-Valid BC Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle
-Will undergo a Criminal Record Check upon hiring (paid by the Band)
Length of Employment & Wage Range:
This is a Full-time Permanent position, 40 hours/week Monday to Friday. AFOA BC Wage Grid. Comprehensive Benefits package
including: Group Pension Plan and Extended Health Benefit package introduced after 3 month probationary period.
How to Apply: Forward your resume and cover letter to HR:
Application deadline: September 26th, 2017 *Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.